Overcoming Postpartum Depression & Living and Loving God's Blessings

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Marathon training

I have been training for an upcoming marathon on May 29th. So far I am up to 14 miles. It is hard work!  I have to run 18 miles on Mother's Day!  Yikes!

On Monday, a student in my Zumba class, asked me what my driving force was behind this marathon. What a good question! I told her my story of overcoming postpartum depression. I told her about the meeting I had in the hospital with all the other patients and the OT lady. We had to talk about one thing we always wanted to do but never did. When it was my turn, I quiet said, "I have always wanted to run a marathon." She asked me, "What's stopping you?" I wanted to be sassy and reply, "Cause I am in here!"  I didn't though. I just told her I would do one. So I am running this one for me. I am also running this one for the end of my postpartum depression. It takes up to a year to heal, and I am healing. I am almost there. I don't think about my experience with a sick feeling in my stomach anymore. I don't feel like it has consumed me. I don't even think about it really anymore.

I want this marathon to symbolize my journey in life so far in my thirty years. I know that if I could get through postpartum depression, I can get through anything. I have a newfound confidence that I never had before.

I am also so excited that my baby boy is turning one!  OMG!  How can this be??  He is such an amazing little boy. He is like a little Tasmanian devil. He is walking and running and climbing and jumping... I am exhausted!

One word of advice to mommy runners- your window of training is slim when you have little ones, and your energy level is even slimmer.  It can be done though. I have a very patient family and wonderful husband. He is also training for this marathon. I am so proud of him!  I am proud of us for doing this together. We probably won't run together, but we will be enduring it together.

I am a little afraid to put my goal on here, but I will anyway. My goal is to do this under five hours. I am shooting for 4 1/2 hours, but if I am under five hours I will be ecstatic.

I will keep you posted as the marathon approaches. In the meantime, I hope all is well with you all and your family.

Happy Mother's Day to all you wonderful mommies out there!

3 comments:

  1. This whole post is why I love you and am so very happy God put us on this street together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you'll do great -- and so will that husband of yours. What a wonderful accomplishment to tell your kids about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so great! I just ran my first half-marathon last weekend! It's a reminder that you still are in control of your life, even when you have been to that horrible place. I've been there, too. Congratulations to you!

    ReplyDelete