Overcoming Postpartum Depression & Living and Loving God's Blessings

Friday, February 6, 2015

Farm Life in Kenya

I grew up on a small hobby farm as a little girl. I loved it. We had chickens, cows, rabbits, cats, a dog, sheep, a horse, pigs, and goats. I spent a lot of time loving these animals. I even was a five year old animal rights activist when it came time to butcher our chickens. I wrote something like, "How would you like it if I chopped of your head!"  My dad got the note and showed my mom. They knew it was best if I went to my Grannie's house until it was over. 
In Kenya, we have goats, chickens, rabbits, cows, and a wonderful dog named Nala. Nala has been such a blessing to us. She is a good protector and friend. She loves all the extra attention and she has accepted us as part of her pack.
A few weeks ago, Phill told me it would be time to slaughter one of our goats. He was given to us as a gift at Christmas time from a great family here in Kenya. We were supposed to have a big celebration for our new house being built and that was tradition. I started crying. I know a bit dramatic. Phill said if it was that big of a deal we wouldn't slaughter him. Amazing how quickly my tears stopped. We had guests come for two weeks and it was so wonderful having them here. One of the guys had a birthday so he wanted to slaughter a goat.  Good thing I wasn't here for that. So we had a birthday party and a different goat. 
Last night our calf, Beauty, got lost. Our night staff spent a lot of time looking for her. Natalie and I looked for her this morning. We still haven't found her. She could have escaped through the fence and followed another herd. Our head of security, Sonko, sent out a message on Twitter for the area. I laughed because it is as silly as it seems. We are all upset and worried. Natalie is a lot like me and loves her animals. Natalie and Beauty used to chase each other around the yard. So we are praying for a miracle to have her return. Her mom bellows for her constantly. She bellowed all night and all day. It breaks my heart. She is out looking for her calf now and we are hoping Beauty comes home. 
Farm life is tough. I am learning that all over again. I wouldn't trade it for anything though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment