Overcoming Postpartum Depression & Living and Loving God's Blessings

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The hardest part about Kenya

A friend asked me the other day what the hardest part of Kenya was for me. I had to think. Not much here has been that hard. Leaving home and my friends and family was hard. Leaving my dogs behind was really hard. The anxiety right before leaving was hard. Living with my in-laws for a month and a half was really hard. I love them and I am so glad they are here, but imagine all of us under one roof, selling, moving, packing with all of our anxiety levels at an all time high. 

So much good has happened since we have been here almost 6 weeks. The people here are my favorite for sure. The kids here make my heart melt. In silent thoughts and prayers I would adopt so many of them. I know this is not possible at this time, but if money wasn't the main obstacle it would be done. 

I guess my answer would have to be money is the hardest thing. Automatically you are perceived as wealthy and to be honest we are so wealthy compared to most of the people here. You can't explain, no we don't have jobs, we have very little amounts of money to do things with so please don't charge me four times what you normally charge. They just look at you in disbelief. They probably think, you have never been hungry. You have never been homeless.  You have never known the hardships I have known. You have running water. You have clean clothes. You flew in on an airplane so don't tell me you have little money. 

God has been working on me though. He knows exactly what we need and he will provide. He has been working through us to help others who are more in need than we ever could be. He is also working through all of you who have helped us through gifts of donations. It feels so amazing to sponsor a child, buy clothes, backpacks, food, goats, chickens, eggs, trees, etc. all because you felt moved to give. I could never thank you enough. I wish you could see the smile, the tears of joy, the gasps of disbelief. I wish you could feel the love of little kids hugging you so tight, playing with your hair, holding your hand, and have a crowd of kids follow you wherever you go.   
 
I think the hardest part of Kenya is going to be saying goodbye this summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment