Overcoming Postpartum Depression & Living and Loving God's Blessings

Monday, July 28, 2014

Kenya: Is it safe?

I have had some concerns from my loved ones, family and friends.  Is it safe?

Well I guess to be honest my answer is no. Kenya is not any safer than anywhere here in the United States.

You see I have anxiety. I have had major anxiety my whole life up until I had Postpartum Depression in 2010.  That was a major turning point for me with my anxiety.  I asked God to help me and he did. From that moment on, I made a promise to God to trust him and not to worry so much. I am not perfect, but I don't worry like I used to.  I would be lying if I said I wasn't anxious to go to Kenya. I am taking my three beautiful children, ages 16, 7, and 4.  They are the most important thing to me in my life. I have to protect them. I have to trust God on this one.

I would also be lying if I didn't say that I have had anxiety while dropping my kids off at school. I am worried that a school shooting could happen in my little and safe town. I worry that when I go to the mall or a movie, I might be shot.  I also worry that if I am on a plane or a bus or running a race, I might get blown up by a terrorist bomb.  When I am out for a long run and exhausted, I worry that it might be the perfect opportunity for someone to abduct me.  It doesn't stop me from taking my kids to school, going to a movie, running or living my life.

To be really honest, I was more afraid of being eaten by a lion on safari than I was of being harmed while in Kenya. We will be in a private, gated, village where there is 24 hour security.  That is more safe than my home now, where I have had items stolen from our cars while we sleep and money stolen from my purse in broad daylight.

We also have a trusted group of over 100 friends in Kenya that would do nothing but protect us.  We are not going in blindly and just going to take risks.  We know not to travel alone or go anywhere at night. We make smart decisions.  My husband has been to Kenya 7 times and the only thing that was really scary was when there was an alleged terrorist threat on a plane from London to the US in 2004.  Luckily officials caught the threat in time and that was when airport security got really tight. Another trip someone took his cell phone. I just have faith in God and in my husband that we will be as safe as we can be while traveling to Kenya.


1 comment:

  1. Excellent answer, Jodie. Well said and a perfect answer.

    ReplyDelete