Overcoming Postpartum Depression & Living and Loving God's Blessings

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Kenya: What about Reese and Tika?

One of the first questions Natalie, age 7, asked me is what about Reese and Tika.  Reese is our 8 year old Peek-a-poo (pekingese/poodle mix dog) and Tika is our 2 year old Yorkie-poo mix dog. When Phill and I first talked about going our answer was yes they are coming with us.  When we started looking into it further and saw all the red tape around taking a pet to Kenya, it didn't look so easy.  One good thing is they are small. That means they could fit in a small carrier under our seat... for 8 hours or longer on one plane and 8 hours or longer on another plane.

Reese would probably  not like it, but she would be fine. Tika would probably be evicted from the plane.  She is still like a puppy in a lot of ways. She would cry the entire flight and since they are lap dogs, would be furious if they couldn't be held. I wish I was like Lady Gaga who flew everywhere with her dog in a private room on an airplane.

It isn't just the flight that concerns me.  There could be a potential problem for my dogs and their health in another country that they are not used to.  Then I also feel that they are our family and even if their environment changes, at least their family or "pack" won't change.  I could see the kids in Kenya running after our dogs and our dogs being so happy to have new friends.

I know if we asked, many people would offer to help watch our dogs while we are gone.  Reese would be happy to be separated from Tika, but Tika is her annoying side kick and loves Reese.

So pet lovers out there my question is to you. What would you do if it were up to you?  Thanks so much for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment