Overcoming Postpartum Depression & Living and Loving God's Blessings

Friday, October 1, 2010

Mullen

Recently our 10 year old dog, Mullen, died. She was a black lab, husky mix with deep blue eyes. She howled instead of barked which we all got a kick out of. This summer before all of my postpartum adventures began, we had a wedding to go to. My parents took Mullen for the weekend. They kept her after that weekend. They told us that a city is no place for her to run around and she didn't look like she was going to even make it until the winter.
Labor day weekend she died in her sleep. My dad found her and was very reluctant to tell us. He felt really bad and I am sure he was concerned about how he was going to tell me. My parents probably remember really well how I took the death of my first dog, Dodger. I cried for months, yes-months-over him. I got him when I was ten and he was my big baby. He died when I was 22 and was just fresh out of college.

My dad came to our house to help with some projects around the house and to help me with the kids early September. I work part-time from home and usually the kids are great, but it is a lot easier to work when someone else is tending to them. Many times I have the baby in the bouncer on the table and I talk to him, while my daughter is coloring me a picture or making a mess out of play dough. I am sending out an e-mail or working on a mailing for my job. Somehow my work always gets done and I am thankful that I can work from my home. I have the best jobs in the world :)

So my dad told me that Mullen passed away. I immediately hugged my dad and I felt sad. The tears didn't come. Weeks went by and the tears still wouldn't come. I e-mailed my friend and told her I could not cry about this. It really bothered me. I asked her what the medication was doing to me-making me a hard ass!! She told me the medication buffers you from feeling sad and depressed. I guess that makes sense it is in the name of the medication  anti-depressant.  I talked to my therapist about this. She told me it might be because I went through something so traumatic this summer that I grew so much from that experience. Things that normally would make me cry, now I just think they are sad.

This continued to bother me. I started to not like the medication anymore. Plus I was working out 5 days a week and wasn't noticing any weight loss. I started dieting to see if that would help too. I blamed my medication on this also. I started to feel trapped. I did a little on-line research about my medication, which my husband hates when I do this! I will talk to my doctor early next week when I see her. She is the only one I should listen to about my medication.

Our friend Todd came over to visit us last week. He knew how sad we all were about losing Mullen. Natalie was especially sad. She told everyone we saw that "Mullen dieded."  Todd bought her a stuffed dog that barked when you pressed the paw. Her name was Mullen. Natalie loves her. She takes her everywhere with her and sleeps with her at night. That first night we had the new stuffed animal, Mullen, I asked Natalie if I could take her in my room for a few minutes. She let me. I sat down on the big, overstuffed chair in my bedroom. I looked at "Mullen" and started crying. I cried for about five minutes and I said a quiet goodbye to my real dog Mullen. It was exactly what we needed.

And yes ladies... Todd is still single- isn't he sweet!!

4 comments:

  1. Jodi, you are truely amazing! This is Marge Dampier. You have a gft to write. I have learned so much reading this. Thank you for sharing this. What a wonderful supportive famiy and husband you have. I didn't een know you had moved, and read a quote from Phil on Katie Dovark's face book and tht is how I found you. Your children are beautiful.I ampryng for your continual healing. Marge

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://sammieanddylan.blogspot.com/2010/07/grim-reaper-leave-my-loved-ones-alone.html

    My wolf mix passed away in July. It was so hard. It can still make me teary. I feel your pain. I no longer want any animals it's just too hard. I always felt conflicted about him not getting enough attention once I had kids, it's a terrible feeling of guilt. You can read about it above if you like. I have been following you for a while. My name is also Jodi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marge,
    It is so great to hear from you! Thank you so much for you kind words and encouragement. I am truly blessed to have such great support. I don't know if you remember, "D" but he is still with us and doing really well. He is on track to graduate next year :)
    Keep in touch! It made my day to hear from you!!
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jodi,
    I am so sorry to hear that your dog passed away. I feel exactly the same way you do. My dogs were everything to me before children and now they don't get as much attention. I think it makes up for it when the dogs accept the kids and they become friends. :) I will read your blog! Thanks so much for following

    ReplyDelete