Overcoming Postpartum Depression & Living and Loving God's Blessings

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Overbooked

Last week I scheduled too much and my kids paid the price hardcore!  They were crabby and did not appreciate being carted around to every single thing we had to do. My husband didn't appreciate it either. I was gone three nights in a row for work stuff. I scheduled wrong and it wore my whole family out.
After Phill gently reminded me that I was the quarterback of the house, it made a lot of sense. I couldn't be doing so much outside stuff because the people in my family depend on me being home most of the time. It is what we are all used to. It is what my family needs at this time in our life. It is a temporary season of my life. I understand that.
I heard on the radio once, that we need to be careful when saying "yes" to everything that comes up because we are saying "no" to the most important people and things in our life.

This week, I didn't do much and it was great! I took a nap with my baby and when I woke up I just watched him sleep. I ran everyday this week on the treadmill, I was home for bath night, dinner was cooked, the house was clean, we had a date night, I watched Beauty and the Beast with my kids, and most importantly my family was happy and so was I.
Balance will always be a struggle I am sure for most of us in this fast paced world. Sometimes God gives us no choice but to slow down. He also calls us to spend time with him each day. We have to be quiet and still to hear his call or we may miss it. Sometimes I only have five minutes to spend in prayer or reading his word, but I know it is the most important thing I can do each day.

2 comments:

  1. You have to have some down time. I always take an hour to myself when the kids are napping. No house work, no nothing I go in a room that I can't see the mess or whatever. I read or meditate. Chronic stress does terrible stuff to some moms eventually because their jobs are 24/7 365 days a year. I don't know what will happen when there isn't naptime in about six months maybe they will have room/ rest time. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey i totally agree,...i actually found myself greatful for vomitville. it was a great excuse to be home, stay home, and just be with the kids. though the house is a mess, the laundry is not done and dinner has been well not a puking priority,..... i am greatful for some down time. we need to remember that OUR FAMILIES COME FIRST BEHIND OUR FATHER.

    ReplyDelete