Overcoming Postpartum Depression & Living and Loving God's Blessings

Sunday, November 28, 2010

The hardest Truth

I still have a hard time watching those commercials for different medications for depression. The people in the commercials look like zombies and usually are laying in bed with their hair all over the place. I never understood depression. I just thought people were being "lazy" or not trying very hard.  But you can't. You physically can not get out of it.
Even though I know they are actors, I still feel an aching in my heart when I watch those commercials. I am glad they are out there and I am so glad there is medication out there to treat depression as well as anxiety.

Our pastor shared his battle with depression and anxiety at church this week. He was suffering this summer too. I looked over at my husband when he was speaking and sharing his story. My heart ached for him. I was so proud of him for having the courage to share this very personal struggle. He continued on to talk about how we are strangers in this world. We have to expect struggles and suffering and be grateful for them. They are also God's way of testing us. At the time, we cannot be grateful and we are usually very bitter and angry. We even question how could a God love us and let this suffering enter our lives? He also talked about how we need to be praying for each other while our brothers and sisters are struggling. He also brought up one of the most important point of all. We struggle so that we can be compassionate and help others who are going through the same thing.

It was finally the closure I was looking for. I told the pastor this after church and thanked him for sharing his story and giving me closure. I joked to my husband that the pastor was my new best friend!

I do not doubt that God allowed me to be tested by Postpartum depression. He loved me enough to allow this to happen to me and my family. I have been blessed several times over through this experience and I would not change a thing about it.
I also know that more struggles will come. Now I know I that when they do come, there is God's blessing behind it 100%.

2 comments:

  1. Do you think counseling can be just as effective as meds? I don't; but I hear out of people's mouths how "drs just want to hand out prescriptions without helping the problem" I think the meds help a person to realize what normal feels like again. T

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. There is no way that w/o medication I would be doing this well. I think counseling and medication is the best way to battle Postpartum depression. Maybe not for everyone, depending on how severe their symptoms are. But I have no regrets!

    I tried just the meds and it didn't help- it was the wrong medication and I had no support. I ended up in the hospital!
    Thanks for your comment! Glad we are on the same page!!

    ReplyDelete