Overcoming Postpartum Depression & Living and Loving God's Blessings

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Thank God for Girlfriends!

We love our moms and our hubbies-but let's face it. They just don't get IT sometimes. Moms are wonderful, but they haven't raised little ones for over 25-30 years give or take a few years. If you read one of my last posts, you understand that husbands are great, but you can't confide in them like you can your girlfriends. Nor would you want to sometimes. I usually get the look from my husband that means, "I don't need to know that!"  That is why God created girlfriends.

I love my girlfriends. I need them like air to breathe!  Even though some of my closest friends are hundreds of miles away, Facebook and phone calls make them feel close to home. I love being able to be so honest and open about what is going on in my life and they can do the same with me. Sometimes we don't even say much and sometimes we just vent and we feel so much better afterwards. It is great therapy!  I usually end up laughing hysterically at the latest thing my girlfriend's husband or kids just did because I can usually relate in my own situation.

The other day, my new friend and neighbor and I went for a walk with our kids. I had just had a slim-fast for breakfast. It went right through me- and I needed to get to a bathroom before I had a PE (poop emergency)  I walked to the park bathroom and of course it was locked. Then I quickly grabbed the stroller and my three year old who was still upset about losing her ball somewhere in the grass. I told my friend, Emilie, I needed to get to the gas station as soon as possible. I practically ran to the gas station with my three year old whining and my baby in the stroller. Once we got to the gas station I bolted for the bathroom praying it was empty. It was.
Afterwards we met outside and I thought to myself, I should be embarrassed by this- but I wasn't. Emilie just smiled and said, "I've been there before too!"

That's the best thing about girlfriends. No matter what happens, chances are we can look at each other, smile, and say, "I've been there before too!"

No comments:

Post a Comment