Overcoming Postpartum Depression & Living and Loving God's Blessings

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Phone calls and visitors

Phill replied, "I know I tried calling 8 times but couldn't get through. Everything is going to be fine Jodie. You did the right thing." I stopped crying slowly and started to talk about the visit with the doctor and other details of my hospital stay so far. Then I asked, "When are you going to be here?" Phill replied, "I am on my way to the airport tomorrow and Todd is going to pick me up in Detroit to avoid the eight hour lay over so I should be there Saturday night around 7:00 or 8:00 p.m. I will come straight to the hospital." My heart sank a little because I wanted him there with me. I told him I was worried about our marriage and thought he couldn't take care of me. I still felt so unlovable and who would want to be with someone who can't even take care of herself? Phill laughed and said that was ridiculous.  He reassured me I had nothing to worry about. I know he was hurting and felt horrible for me. After talking a little more I calmed down and felt a little better. He did say I sounded better than I had  the entire time he was gone. I knew that was a good thing. We said our good byes and he said he would call again on Friday, but then wouldn't be able to talk again until he landed in Detroit on Saturday morning.
I hung up the phone and smiled. I knew everything would be o.k. Phill knew where I was and would be here very soon to come see me.
I had three more phone calls that afternoon. My parents were on their way to see me, my in-laws were calling to check in with me, and my sister would be coming to see me again today. After lunch we had some free time. I started journaling. I wrote down, "Want to go home, Can't go home, need to stay, need to be on the right meds, need to be stable." Just then my parents walked in.
I hugged them both. It was so hard for me to have them there. They both looked like they were exhausted and deeply concerned. It was so hard for them to be in limbo. They were with me for 12 days and saw the absolute worst of it. I told them I felt better after seeing the doctor. I told them the doctor told me the meds. I was on would have never worked for me so I had to come to the hospital to get put on the right medication. I told them I started to have hope again that I would get better and it would just take some time.

2 comments:

  1. Just wondering if you are writing this story from the hospital or if you are writing it from notes in your journal. You tell a good story that is well-thought-out and well-executed. You make your readers feel your pain and emotion. For saying that you feel no emotion, you are expressing it VERY WELL here. Hope you're doing better...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah for the comment and for taking time to read my blog! I really appreciate it.
    I have been home for a month now and am doing very well. I am happy and am excited about life again. I am going to therapy and will need to be on medication for at least a year.
    I think I should clarify that I am writing this from memory and my journal when I was in the hospital in July. I have had a couple people ask me the same thing!
    Thanks for you encouragement!
    Take care,
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete